15 giugno 2012

Sanjay Leela Bhansali: I'm rowdy at heart

Vi segnalo l'intervista concessa da Sanjay Leela Bhansali a Upala KBR, pubblicata il 2 giugno 2012 da The Times of India. I'm rowdy at heart:

'What prompted you to make a massy, commercial film like Rowdy Rathore?
I wanted to make a hit film. As a producer, it’s important to make films that are different from my usual style. I wanted to make a film that would entertain people, and I wanted them to go home loving everything - the songs, the dialogues, the action. RR is not my genre, but I wanted to be part of a film that people like watching. Guzaarish changed my perspective on life, and purged me of my fear of death and sorrow. Now I am in a happy, adventurous zone. I want to do different things.

How did RR happen?
My co-producer Shabina (Khan) asked me to see the Telugu film Vikramarkudu on which RR is based. I found the plot wonderfully entertaining, and felt it was a film that needed to be produced in Hindi. I am extremely proud of what we have made. It is entertaining, beautifully-crafted and has great action and songs. My mother loved every minute of it! She whistled and screamed. She loved Akshay and kept laughing at the one-liners. (...)

Could you direct a film like RR?
Yes, it’s very easy for me to direct a film like this. I am rowdy at heart! I have done lots of mad things in my youth. Being rowdy is a state of mind, and means getting up and doing anything as a filmmaker. There is fearlessness in me as a filmmaker. I make anything that touches my heart - be it as a director or producer. After Saawariya, people thought I was mad to make Guzaarish, but I will always make what I want to.

How was it working with Akshay?
I have always wanted to work with him. He’s a very big star and a competent actor, but none of the scripts that I was working on, suited him. It was a pleasure working with him. There was not a single moment of drama, complaint or ego issue. He would be ready for a 9 am shift, in make up and costume. He’s come up with a splendid performance. Rowdy Rathore will be his crowning glory in cinema'.